What is a rain barrel?
Rain barrels attach to your gutters and collect rainwater as it drains off your roof. That water can then be used for everyday tasks such as watering the lawn.
Benefits Reduce water usage
Reduce stormwater runoff
- The average Hilliard household uses approximately 5,000 gallons of water and pays $100 per month on their water bill.
- Watering the lawn, plants, and other outdoor tasks can account for up to 40% of household water usage during the summer months.
- By using water collected in rain barrels rather than tap water to accomplish these chores, you can significantly reduce summer water usage - and save on your water bill.
- During a single 1-inch rainfall, more than 700 gallons of water can run off your roof.
- Excessive runoff causes flooding, increases the rate of erosion, and carries pollutants into streams, rivers, and lakes.
- Capturing the water that comes off your roof can help reduce runoff.
How to get a rain barrel
- The GreenSpot Rain Barrel program offers 45-gallon rain barrels for $50 and also conducts in-person workshops. Click here for more info.
- A number of local retailers sell rain barrels. Click here for a list from the Franklin County Soil and Water Conservation District.
- Build your own! Click here for more info.