What is a Building Permit?

A Building Permit is a license that grants legal permission to start construction of a building project. Building codes also allow Code Officials to protect the public safety and welfare.

What projects need Building Permits?  

The following is a list of common projects requiring a Building Permit:

Basement Finish Garages  Room Additions  
Deck Gazebo Satellite Dish
Driveways Hot Tub Screened Porches
Electrical Work New Home Construction              Sidewalk Replacement    
Fence Patios Siding
Fire Restoration Patio Enclosures Storage Shed
Fireplace Plumbing Storm Restoration
Furnace Replacement               Roofing Swimming Pools

Any structural alteration or addition, interior or exterior, residential or commercial requires a building permit.

Hot water tank replacement & all types of alterations and remodeling also require a building permit.

This list may not include all projects requiring permits. Before starting any project, please contact the Building Department to find out whether a permit is required for your project.

What are the Building Permit fees?

Building permit fees, per Resolution No. 08-R-4, are outlined in Exhibit A and Exhibit B. There are many different permits, therefore, many different fees.  For building permits effective 9/23/2010 or later, refer to Ordinance No. 10-29 regarding "Municipal Fees".  Please see the appropriate permit application for a more specific answer for the appropriate project.

How do I obtain a Building Permit?

Permit applications are available through this website. Click on and then print the appropriate application. Once you have completed the application, return it to The City of Hilliard Building Department for processing. Payment is required with application on most permits. We accept, MasterCard/Visa & checks. Applications being paid for with a credit card can be faxed if a to-scale drawing is not required. Specific requirements and timelines for each type of permit are detailed on the application.


Site Plan -This is a drawing which shows your property with existing structures, easements, lot dimensions, setbacks, and any floor plan information. Please draw to scale proposed project on this drawing showing dimensions and distance to property lines.

The site plan is A.K.A. The Surveyors Plot Plan. It should be in your closing papers. If you are unable to locate your copy, you must obtain one through the Franklin County Map Room. You must request the copy in person at 373 South High Street (20th floor). Call (614) 462-4663 with questions. However, what the Franklin County Map Room provides may not be sufficient for your project. You will need to present it to the City for confirmation.

Construction Drawings - These drawings will show how your project will be constructed. Most drawings submitted can be drawn by you or your contractor.

Items that need to be included on your construction drawings are as follows:

Foundation plan, Floor plan and Wall sections

Building elevations, Floor framing plans and Roof framing plans

Electrical plans, Heating plans and Plumbing plans

For more detailed information about what is required to be on construction drawings contact the Building Department at (614) 334-2557.

How long will it take to approve my permit?

Most projects take 2 weeks for plan and zoning review. Some projects however may take less time and the permit application will indicate as such. Once reviewed and approved, you will be contacted to pick-up your plans.  At that time, you will be required to pay the balance of all fees associated with your project.

What Inspections do I need for my project?

Each project is unique and requires various types of inspections. When you come in to pick-up your permit, we will advise you of required inspections.

What if I hire a contractor to do my project?

Every person who works as a contractor in the City of Hilliard must be registered with the Building Department. To check if your contractor is registered, please contact the Building Department.

What if I want to do the work myself?

Homeowners may, on their own home, complete any part of their project themselves. However, you will be required to sign a Homeowners Statement. This states that you are doing the work yourself and you are responsible for obtaining all permits and will build to all applicable city codes and receive the appropriate inspections. Go to the Homeowner's Projects page.

Who do I call to have the utilities marked in my yard?

The Ohio Revised Code states that you are responsible for calling the Ohio Utilities Protections Service a minimum of 48 hours, but not more that 10 days, before digging.

The Ohio Utilities Protection Services is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Weekends and holidays also included!  There is a link to their website below. We have just been told that by the end of this year you will be able to send this information by online internet registration from their website! 

Ohio Utilities Protections Service 1-800-362-2764 More information is online at: www.oups.org

What is the purpose and intention of the National Electrical Code?

The very first article of the National Electrical Code states: "The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity."

Also found in the first article "This Code is not intended as a design specification nor an instruction manual for untrained persons."

If I am an untrained person needing electrical work done on my home, what are my safe choices?

Hire a qualified professional or study a good "How To" electrical book before beginning the work.

What are the biggest mistakes I can make?

Do the work yourself without knowing what you are doing.
Hire, barter or accept a favor from an unqualified person to do the work for you. You could be paying someone to install an electrical hazard in the very same building that you live in!

What needs an electrical permit?

Any new circuit or extension of an existing circuit, including kitchen, bath, basement remodeling, swimming pools, hot tubs, ceiling fans, and service updates.

How can I ensure the safety of all electrical installations?

Always obtain a permit so the work can be inspected. Electrical permits for most projects are only $40.00 - $60.00. "This is the cheapest insurance you can buy."

PLEASE REMEMBER; "The most dangerous wiring is the wiring that has never been looked at by a State Certified Electrical Inspector."