Beginning April 11, 2016 and continuing thru October 14, 2016 the city will provide a biweekly citywide chipper service. To utilize this service residents simply need to have trimmings piled curb-side (or behind the ditch for non-curbed street) by 7AM Tuesday of the week their area is scheduled for service.
The City will remove tree and shrub trimmings subject to the following:
- Trimmings should be at least 4 feet in length. There is no maximum length – longer trimmings are easier for City crews to remove. Trimmings less than 4 feet in length are a safety concern when feeding the chipper machine. Therefore, trimmings less than 4 feet in length will not be collected by City crews and shall be bagged for yard waste.
- The machine will accept branches with a maximum diameter of 8 inches.
- All trimmings must be piled within 6 feet of the curb or at the end of the driveway. Trimming piles should be placed neatly with the cut off ends pointed towards the street.
- Trees and bushes with roots cannot go through the chipper machine. Roots must be cut off.
- Tree and shrub clippings only. No vines or honeysuckle. Clippings which include foreign materials such as nails, wire or staples will not be picked up.
- No FIREWOOD, lumber, boards, wire or other debris.
- City equipment and employees will not come on private property to remove trimmings.
- Clippings should not be piled near mailboxes, fire hydrants or parked cars, as they may scratch the cars. Clippings deemed too close to parked cars will not be picked up.
Supplemental chipper services to clear brush after major storms or for special projects will be provided as necessary.
The City will also continue to offer a call-in chipper service for residents who have a significant amount of brush (as determined by the City) due to a project or special circumstance (such as resident removing or clearing an overgrown area). However, residents are encouraged to take advantage of the regularly scheduled biweekly service. To request pickup, call the City’s Service Request Center (SRC) Line at (614) 876-7361 ext. 706, or visit the City’s SRC website at: http://src.hilliardohio.gov (Type in the key word “Chipper” and select the “Chipper Service” service request). You will need to create a user account to use the City’s SRC system. Creating an account requires a valid email address.
When a tree service or landscape company is hired to cut down trees or clear areas they are solely responsible for that removal.