Engineering and Building Permits Q&A

A Building Permit is a license that grants legal permission to start construction of a building project. Permits allow code officials to protect the public safety and welfare.

Residents who are interested in building or remodeling must obtain a permit before construction. This applies to any internal or external structural alteration or addition.

Before starting any project, please contact us to see if you need a permit. Below are some common projects that require permits. There are other projects not listed that also require permits.

Basement Finish, Garages, Room Additions, Deck, Gazebo, Satellite Dish, Driveways, Hot Tub, Screened Porches, Electrical Work, New Home Construction, Sidewalk Replacement, Fence, Patios, Siding, Fire Restoration, Patio Enclosures, Storage Shed, Fireplace, Plumbing, Storm Restoration, Furnace Replacement, Roofing, Swimming Pools

Permit applications are available here. Once you have completed the application, return it to the Hilliard Building Department in city hall (3800 Municipal Way) for processing.

Payment is required with an application for most permits. We accept MasterCard, Visa and checks. Applications paid by credit card can be faxed unless a to-scale drawing is required. Specific requirements and timelines for each permit are detailed on the application.

Most projects take two weeks for plan and zoning review unless otherwise specified. Once approved, you will be contacted to pick-up your plans.

If you don’t get a zoning permit you can be cited for failing to comply with regulations and you can even be ordered to tear down the new structure you just built. But this can easily be avoided by getting a permit and working with the city’s planning and zoning commission.

Most permits are good for one year, but you should confirm with the planning and zoning department.

When you come into pick-up an approved permit, you will be informed of required inspections.

Every contractor in Hilliard must be registered with the Building Department. To check if your contractor is registered, contact Hilliard 311. The homeowner is responsible for ensuring that contractor(s) complete any necessary permits and file them with the city.

Homeowners may complete any project themselves. However, they must sign a statement acknowledging that they are responsible for obtaining all permits and inspections. Work must be completed to code.

You can submit an online request with the Ohio Utilities Protection Service at Make sure to submit your request at least 48 hours (and no more than 10 days) before you start digging. The Ohio Utilities Protection Services is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Electrical permits are required for any new circuit or extension of an existing circuit including kitchen, bath, basement remodeling, swimming pools, hot tubs, ceiling fans and service updates.

Always obtain a permit so the work can be inspected. Electrical permits for most projects are only $40 – $60.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for, call Hilliard 311.

Yes, the city provides a list of registered contractors, listed by trade. Concrete work falls under General.

Yes, the city provides a list of registered contractors, listed by trade. Sewer contractors are so indicated.

Yes. You need a plumbing permit.

To schedule an inspection, call (614 )876-3331. Please call more than 48 hours in advance.