Hilliard’s Sports Commission makes recommendations on how to best use the city’s recreational facilities and parks. Responsibilities include formulating the best practices in making field schedules, uses, and rental costs and planning how to best utilize City parks that may be underdeveloped. The commission will ensure that sports and recreational opportunities exist for people of all ages and skill-levels.
- Les Carrier, City Council Representative
- Aaron Conrad, City Council Appointment
- Charles Steiz, City Council Appointment
- Dave Delande, Mayor’s Designee
- James F. Dietz, Mayor’s Appointment
- Libby Gierach, Hilliard Area Chamber Of Commerce
- Mike McDonough, Hilliard City School District
- Nicolaus A. Gorden, Mayor’s Appointment
Contact us with questions or for more information.
Sports Commission Recommendations
On April 22, 2019, the Sports Commission met with City Council as a whole in a work session to review a series of recommendations covering a variety of topics.
Topics for discussion included recommendations related to:
- rental and facility fees,
- field and facility scheduling,
- collaboration between the City, Hilliard City Schools, area townships, the Franklin County Agricultural Society, local sports organizations, Destination Hilliard, and the Hilliard Area Chamber of Commerce;
- field maintenance and preparation;
- field space and indoor facility needs; and
- economic development considerations.
At the end of the meeting, City Council approved two recommendations.
Communicate the Sports Commission’s recommendations and gain feedback from Hilliard City Schools, local sports organizations, local townships, the Franklin County Agricultural Society, and local businesses.
This recommendation involves forming a single-point youth sports coordination organization (Hilliard Youth Sports Council) within the City of Hilliard Recreation and Parks Department. HYSC would include representatives of the City, Hilliard City Schools, and select local recognized youth organizations. It would establish criteria for which youth sports organization would govern and act in an advisory role on future matters.
Other responsibilities of HYSC could include:
- performing background checks on coaches,
- qualifying youth organizations,
- developing conduct standards,
- coordinating organization sessions for field optimization,
- working with teams requesting field usage to ensure they meet eligibility criteria and can be scheduled in an efficient manner,
- working with the City and Schools to organize and schedule tournaments, and
- coordinate tournament scheduling with Destination Hilliard and local hotel groups.