Enrich the quality of life within our community for all ages and abilities by providing abundant sports and recreation experiences that benefit our community’s economic vitality.
In June 2019, the Hilliard Sports Commission refined and expanded its objectives to reflect the following six priorities:
- Develop a strategy for fair administrative practices (including fees, scheduling and maintenance)
- Include opportunities and experiences for all ages and activities
- Develop a strategy for the best use of community recreation and field facilities
- Develop a strategy for indoor space
- Develop a strategy for economic development and sports tourism
- Identify and fulfill future sports demands
- Jim Dietz, Chairman
- Aaron Conrad
- Dave Delande
- Kurt Schooley
- Charles Steitz
- Les Carrier, City Council Representative
- Tim Kauffman, Destination Hilliard Representative
- Libby Gierach, Hilliard Area Chamber Of Commerce
- Mike McDonough, Hilliard City School District
The Work of the Sports Commission
The Sports Commission meets at 6 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at the Municipal Building, 3800 Municipal Way. Residents are encouraged to check the City website before attending meeting as dates are subject to change.
The Hilliard Sports Commission was established by City Council Resolution in April 2017 and held its first meeting in August of that year.
In September 2017, the group established three initial objectives:
- Develop a strategy for the best use of Rec and Parks outdoor facilities.
- Include experiences for all ages and abilities.
- Research and develop sustainability and economic development plans.
The commission’s work to date has included a survey of major local youth sports organizations and meetings with representatives from other regional and national municipalities to gather information and identify best practices.
Sports Commission Recommendations (April 2019)
On April 22, 2019, the Sports Commission met with City Council as a whole in a work session to review a series of recommendations covering a variety of topics.
Topics for discussion included recommendations related to:
- rental and facility fees,
- field and facility scheduling,
- collaboration between the City, Hilliard City Schools, area townships, the Franklin County Agricultural Society, local sports organizations, Destination Hilliard, and the Hilliard Area Chamber of Commerce;
- field maintenance and preparation;
- field space and indoor facility needs; and
- economic development considerations.
At the end of the meeting, City Council approved two recommendations.
Communicate the Sports Commission’s recommendations and gain feedback from Hilliard City Schools, local sports organizations, local townships, the Franklin County Agricultural Society, and local businesses.
This recommendation involves forming a single-point youth sports coordination organization (Hilliard Area Sports Council) within the City of Hilliard Recreation and Parks Department. would include representatives of the City, Hilliard City Schools, and select local recognized youth organizations. It would establish criteria for which youth sports organization would govern and act in an advisory role on future matters.
Other responsibilities of HASC could include:
- performing background checks on coaches,
- qualifying youth organizations,
- developing conduct standards,
- coordinating organization sessions for field optimization,
- working with teams requesting field usage to ensure they meet eligibility criteria and can be scheduled in an efficient manner,
- working with the City and Schools to organize and schedule tournaments, and
- coordinating tournament scheduling with Destination Hilliard and local hotel groups.