Search
Close this search box.

Bridging the Gap Over I-270 at Cemetery Road: Pedestrian Path Survey Results

We asked and you answered! Earlier this summer, the City of Hilliard asked for your thoughts about four possible designs for a bike and pedestrian path over I-270 at Cemetery Road.

The goal of such a path is to prioritize safety, recreation, and connectivity for people who travel on foot or via bicycles. This is part of the City’s long-range plan to improve the environment, promote alternate forms of transportation, support local business, and connect our community to Central Ohio’s multi-use path system.

More than 400 people provided feedback that ultimately informed our decision. The clear preference was for the City to build a crossing entirely on the south side of Cemetery Road, including a tunnel under eastbound Cemetery Road to the southbound I-270 entrance ramp. This path would loop up to the pedestrian bridge over the interstate.

This design would create a safe and user-friendly option for pedestrians, bicyclists, or anyone not traveling by vehicle to cross I-270 between Cemetery Road, Trueman Boulevard, and Mill Run on the east side of the interstate. Here’s why:

1. The multi-use path will be on a separate bridge on the south side of Cemetery Road. This means automobile traffic will not be affected by the new multi-use crossing. The new bridge also will not be affected by any future improvements to the existing interchange .

2. This option eliminates all free flow ramp crossings for path users. There will be only one ramp crossing at a signalized intersection.

3. It also results in fewer interactions between vehicles and path users.

4. Finally, there are fewer right-of-way impacts between Britton Parkway and I-270.

Now that you’ve helped us determine the best plan for Hilliard, the City will begin the process of securing outside funding from the federal government and other sources to pay for this needed improvement.

At this time, the City is in the process of applying for two grants – the MORPC Attributable Fund, and the Safe Streets and Roads for All Grant.

About 80 percent of the funding for the I-270 trail project would come from these federal funds, with the remaining 20 percent funded by the City of Hilliard or other non-federal sources. The City should know more about the status of this funding in early 2023.

Related News Posts

Road Closure Alert

Closure: Elliott Road Undergoing Resurfacing

The Edwards Farm Innovation Center also has frontage to I-270 outer belt, located at 4949 Edwards Farm Drive.

Hilliard’s Growing Technology Presence Results in New Flex Industrial Locations, Eco Plumbers Expansion

Drunch Eatery and Bar

Drunch Eatery + Bar Will Serve Elevated Brunch at TruePointe

A boy diving into water
A boy blowing bubbles

Hilliard is happening! Find out what’s going on with our weekly newsletter.

Click the ‘x’ to opt out.