In Hilliard, trash, recycling and yard waste are collected by Local Waste Services every Tuesday, except for on certain holidays. Please see the chart below for the list of holidays.
Each residential address in the City of Hilliard is provided with two bins to use for waste disposal: a blue bin for recyclable material, and a green bin for trash.
Residents may request a larger recycling (blue) bin free of charge. An larger waste (green) bin can be purchased for $50.
Bin Repair and Replacement
The City of Hilliard repairs broken trash and recycling containers damaged by ordinary wear and usage.
If your residential bin is cracked, has a broken wheel, or just isn’t functioning properly, please place an online Hilliard 311 service request. The City’s operations division will examine the bin on the following Wednesday or Thursday to determine whether the bin needs fixed or replaced.
Note: The City of Hilliard will not replace trash or recycling bins due to smell or filth. Residents are asked to clean their bins regularly.
|Trash Pick-Up Schedule||2023|
|New Year's Day||Sunday, Jan. 1 - no delay|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 29 - collection delayed until Wednesday|
|Independence Day||Tuesday, July 4 - collection delayed until Wednesday|
|Labor Day||Monday, Sept. 4 - collection delayed until Wednesday|
|Thanksgiving||Thursday, Nov. 23 - no delay|
|Christmas||Monday, Dec. 25 - collected delayed until Wednesday|
Furniture, carpeting, mattresses, box springs and other bulk items will be collected with the regular trash when placed at the curb. Any upholstered items (including mattresses and box springs) must be wrapped in plastic. Large bulk puck up needs can be scheduled with Local Waste Services here.
To learn more about what is acceptable in your trash, and how to properly dispose of or recycle items that do not belong in the trash, please visit SWACO’s website at www.swaco.org and click on the “Diversion” tab.
The City of Hilliard fixes broken trash and recycling bins free of charge. Call (614) 876-7361 to have your bin examined.
It’s the resident’s responsibility to clean their trash and recycling bins.
Follow these tips to make sure your materials are collected:
- Place containers at the end of your driveway by 7 a.m. on the scheduled pick-up day.
- Do not place containers on the street. Place them on the apron or edge of the tree lawn closest to the street.
- Do not bundle or bag recyclable materials — place them loosely in recycling bins.
- Return plastic grocery bags to grocery stores — do not put them in curbside recycling.
- Check the list of recyclable materials.
- Put yard waste in brown paper bags or containers clearly marked with yard waste stickers, which are available at 3800 Municipal Way.
- Containers should not weigh more than 50 pounds.
- Furniture, carpeting, mattresses, box springs, and other bulk items will be collected with regular trash when placed at the curb. Any upholstered items (including mattresses and box springs) must be wrapped in plastic. To learn more about what is acceptable in your trash, and how to properly dispose of or recycle items that do not belong in the trash, please visit SWACO’s website at www.swaco.org and click on the “Diversion” tab.
Need assistance? Call the Trash Line!
Option 1 Service Miss
Option 2 Billing
Option 3 Starting/Canceling Service