Close this search box.

Victims' Rights

Your rights as a victim of crime

Being a victim of a crime can be traumatic. It can also be difficult to navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system. The City of Hilliard wants to help victims of crime cope and recover. The following information explains your rights and how to take advantage of resources available to victims.

As a victim in Ohio, you have rights. Criminal justice system officials are required to perform certain duties to ensure that you know your rights. Some rights are automatic, but most rights require your request.

Below are rights that must be requested and, when you report a crime, police officers will provide you with a Victim’s Rights Request (VRR) Form to officially notify law enforcement, jail or other custodial agencies, prosecutors, and judges that you wish to request or waive certain rights.

Law enforcement will provide you with the Ohio Attorney General’s Crime Victim’s Rights booklet, or another document, which contains information about additional rights that may be available to you. You may use the Victims’ Rights Toolkit to help you research and understand your rights.

Victims' Rights Request Form

(required for online reporting)

Are you a victim of a crime that has been reported to the City of Hilliard Division of Police? Download and complete this fillable PDF form. Once completed, email the saved form to

Who is a victim and who can act as a victim's advocate?

  • A victim is defined as a person against whom the criminal act is committed, or the person directly and proximately harmed by the criminal offense. Under Marsy’s Law, adult parents of a child victim could also be considered victims or persons in a vehicle who are injured as the result of a vehicular homicide could also be considered victims.

What can I expect if I’m a victim of crime in Hilliard?

  • A victim is any person against whom a criminal offense or delinquent act is committed or any person who is directly and proximately harmed by the commission of the offense or act. The suspect, defendant, or offender is not a victim.
  • Crime victims can exercise their rights themselves and/or appoint a representative to exercise their rights. Victims can appoint anyone to be their representative except the crime suspect, defendant, or offender. Victims can appoint or change a representative at any time.
  • If the victim is a minor, incapacitated, incompetent, or deceased, a member of the victim’s family or another person may act as the victim’s representative. If there is a conflict of who will act as the representative, each person can petition the judge to determine whom to appoint.

Requesting or waiving your rights

  • Your decision to request or waive your rights does not mean that you cannot change your mind later. However, if you first waive your rights and then request them at a later time, you may be giving up some rights that only apply at certain stages of the criminal justice process.
  • Arraignment is a hearing that can happen quickly after the defendant is charged. During arraignment the judge often decides whether to release the defendant on bond, conditions of bond, or issue a protection order. To attend arraignment and be heard by the judge, you should call the clerk of courts, jail, or investigating officer to confirm the time and date.

Your right to restitution and information about the Crime Victim Compensation Fund

  • Restitution: Upon conviction, the court shall order the offender to pay you for verifiable financial costs relating to your victimization.
  • Crime Victims Compensation Fund: You may be eligible to apply for reimbursement of verifiable financial costs relating to your victimization as soon as a police report is filed, even if the suspect has not been arrested or convicted. Apply for compensation or call 1 (800) 582-2877.
  • In both instances, you may contact a victim’s advocate, victim’s rights attorney, and/or a victim’s compensation attorney for assistance. You must save receipts, estimates, invoices, pay stubs for lost wages, medical or other bills, mileage logs, and other written documentation of your losses, as this documentation will be required in order to obtain restitution or reimbursement paid by the Crime Victims Compensation Program.

Keeping your personal information private

  • You may register for the Ohio Secretary of State’s “Safe at Home” program to keep your home address private. Participants receive a “safe” mailing address to use official documents. Information is available at (Survivors’ Safe at Home Program) or call (614) 995-2255.
  • You may also choose to object to the release of your personal information on this form.

Tracking an incarcerated person

  • Receive texts, calls, or emails to receive notice of a defendant or offender’s release or escape from jail or prison. Register at or 1 (866) 277-7477

Your right to refuse an interview, deposition, or delivery request from the accused or any person acting on the accused's behalf:

  • If the defendant, defendant’s attorney, or anyone else acting on behalf of the defendant has contacted you to request an interview or attempt to obtain any information or materials, immediately contact the prosecutor. If the suspect has not yet been charged, contact a victim’s rights attorney.

What can I expect if I’m a victim of crime in Hilliard?

A City of Hilliard Division of Police officer will provide a business card to every victim who reports a crime. That card includes the officer’s name, contact information, the report number, and this website.

Representatives of the City of Hilliard Law Department will facilitate victims’ rights in court.

  • City of Hilliard Victim Advocate, Cynthia Newsome, can be reached at (614) 300-5921.
  • City of Hilliard Prosecutor, Dawn Steele, can be reached at (614) 334-2362.
  • For incidents that occur in Norwich Township, call the Columbus Domestic Violence Unit at (614) 645-6232.
  • For indicted felony charges, call the Franklin County Victim Witness Assistance Unit at (614) 525-3555.

What is VINE?

Victim Information and Notification Everyday, or VINE, is a free, anonymous and easy-to-use service that makes vital information about the custody status of inmates accessible to those who need it most: victims, law enforcement officers, prosecutors, judges, probation and parole officers, advocates, neighbors, family members and the general public. If you are concerned about the custody status of an inmate in an Ohio state prison, county jail, or juvenile facility, call VINE at 1 (800) 770-0192 or visit

What is Marsy's Law?

In 2017, Ohio voters passed Marsy’s Law, an amendment to the state constitution ensuring rights for crime victims. Marsy’s Law is named after Marsalee “Marsy” Nicholas of California, who was stalked and killed by her ex-boyfriend in 1983. Only one week after her death, Marsy’s mother and brother walked into a grocery store where they were confronted by the accused murderer. The family, who had just come from a visit to Marsy’s grave, was unaware that the accused had been released on bail.

Ohio Law Guarantees Victims the Following:

The right to be treated with fairness, dignity, and respect already existed in Ohio’s constitution. The right to privacy exists for all U.S. and Ohio citizens. Victims have the right to refuse interview, deposition or discovery requests made by the accused or by someone else on behalf of the accused. Victims of certain sex crimes have the right to ask the judge to order that the information in the police report not be released. If the judge grants the request, all names and details will remain confidential until after a preliminary hearing or an arraignment or until the case is dismissed.

Victims have the right to receive notice of public hearings involving the criminal offense or delinquent act against the victim. Victims have the right to attend the entire trial, including jury selection, and any related hearing or proceedings (except for grand jury proceedings) unless the court finds the victim’s presence interfere with the suspect’s right for a fair trial. Victims may request an advocate or support person accompany them to the court hearing.

Upon request, victims will be notified of the results of the case. If charges against the suspect are proved the prosecutor will provide information about the crimes the defendant was convicted of, information on the sentencing or dispositional hearing, an explanation that a victim may make a victim impact statement, contact information of the probation office preparing the pre-sentence or disposition investigation and victim impact statement, and information on any sentence imposed.

The Ohio Revised Code currently provide victims with the right to give victim impact statements at sentencing and parole hearings. Marsy’s Law expands the right to be heard to include other hearings such as release, including arraignment, and plea. The reasoning behind this is that the victim is often in a unique position to explain to the court the risk an offender poses upon release and to help the court understand the true impact of the crime before accepting a plea.

Within a reasonable amount of time after a suspect is arrested or detained, a law enforcement officer must give the victim the name of the person arrested or detained, information on whether the suspect is eligible for pretrial release, the law enforcement agency’s phone number, and information on how to check the status of the suspect’s bond and custody. Victims have the right to reasonable protection from the accused or people acting on behalf of the accused.

Victims have the right to receive notice of any release or escape of an offender. Victims of first-, second-, or third-degree violent felonies whose offenders are incarcerated with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction will receive automatic notification of release, transfer, escape, possible patrol, and other updates. Other victims must request notifications.

Victims have the right to refuse an interview, deposition, or other discovery request made by the accused or any person acting on behalf of the accused.

Under Marsy’s Law, a court must consider full and timely restitution and, at minimum, hold a hearing when the issue of restitution is in dispute. Courts are required to order restitution, not to exceed a victim’s actual losses. Victims must still prove their losses in compensable categories. Read the Ohio Revised Code section on reparations.

Victims and their families may encounter physical, emotional, and economic hardship long after a crime occurs. Victims eligible for potential compensation are those who experienced crimes that pose a substantial threat of injury or death. Examples include assault, sexual assault, domestic violence, homicide, menacing, and stalking. Victims of motor vehicle crimes, including operating a vehicle while impaired and vehicular assault, may also be entitled to compensation. Victims who do not report a crime are not eligible for compensation. For more information contact the Crime Victim Services Section of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office at 1 (800) 582-2877 or

Victims have the right to proceedings free from unreasonable delay and the right to a prompt conclusion to the case. If there is a motion or request to substantially delay prosecution of the case, the prosecutor must inform the victim. If the victim objects, the prosecutor must inform the court, and the court, to the extent possible, must consider the objection in ruling on the motion or request.

Victims, upon request, have the right to exercise their rights by themselves, with counsel or through the prosecutor. If a victim is a minor or is incapacitated, incompetent or deceased, or if the victim chooses to designate another person, a relative or another person may exercise the victim’s rights as their representative,

Additional Online Resources

Identity Theft

With today’s technology it is very likely that you will have your credit card used fraudulently at least once in your lifetime. You may have done nothing wrong to compromise your card – tricky technology may allow thieves to get this information without you knowing it. If you find charges on your card that you did not authorize, contact your credit card company immediately. They will walk you through their process for shutting down the account and sending you a new card. They may need a police report. HPD can provide a reference number that can be used for this purpose.

If your credit card was used fraudulently, you should take action to ensure your identity was not stolen. What is the difference? Identity theft is more than a thief using your credit card. It is someone who has obtained your personal information like your social security number, date of birth, address, bank account number, etc. The thief tries to use your information to open loan accounts in your name, steal your tax refund or social security, use your Medicare benefits, or attempt many other tricks to steal money.

What do I do if someone has stolen my identity?

Start by contacting your bank, which will walk you through changes that need to be made to protect your accounts depending on which accounts were compromised.

Then, contact a credit reporting company and ask them to put an initial fraud alert on your credit report. You can also file an Initial Fraud Alert online for more immediate results. Proof of identity is required. The company called must tell the other companies about the alert.

  • Equifax 1‑(800)‑525‑6285
  • Experian 1‑(888)‑397‑3742
  • TransUnion 1‑(800)‑680‑7289

Finally, contact HPD to file a report and the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. A consumer advocate is available through the Ohio Attorney General for those who do not feel comfortable in attempting to rectify the effects of identity theft themselves. For this program, you must file and submit a copy of a police report and an Identity Theft Notification and Affidavit form. Victims can also report Identity Theft to the Federal Trade Commission.

Resource Directory

If you are in an emergency, please call 911.


Prosecutor's Office

Additional Programs and Resources (Alphabetical)

A boy diving into water
A boy blowing bubbles

Hilliard is happening! Find out what’s going on with our weekly newsletter.

Click the ‘x’ to opt out.