HPD Offers Golf Cart InspectionsPosted August 9, 2023 in Police
Hilliard residents may drive under-speed vehicles, including golf carts, on some City streets, following proper inspection.
Before operating an under-speed vehicle on the roadway, the vehicle must be inspected by the City of Hilliard Division of Police.
The vehicle must meet state standards, which include adequate brakes, properly working lights and turn signals, a windshield, a horn, a rear-view mirror, and appropriate tires.
After passing the inspection, the owner may obtain registration from the State of Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles to make it legal for roadway use.
- Low-speed vehicles, including golf carts, can only be driven on streets with speed limits at or below 25 mph. The cart is permitted to travel across an intersection of a street with a speed limit greater than 25 mph.
- The owner must have insurance cover on the vehicle.
- The person operating the vehicle must have a valid driver’s license.
- An open container of alcohol in a golf cart on a public roadway is illegal.
- Golf carts are not permitted on sidewalks or trails.
The City’s Division of Police offers inspection services through the community relations unit on an appointment-based basis.
Schedule an appointment by sending an email to Officer Deaton at email@example.com